2014 State Fair of Virginia
Youth Livestock Shows
October 3 - 5, 2014
ALL YOUTH EXHIBITING BEEF, SHEEP, SWINE, OR MEAT GOATS at the State Fair of Virginia MUST BE Youth Meat Quality Assurance (YMQA) Certified before August 15th! YMQA Certifications will be offered through your local county Extension office. For more details regarding your local training, please contact your local Extension Agent.
We are working hard to prepare for the state youth livestock shows in Doswell again this fall and we hope that you will plan to join us! The nomination schedule for market lambs/commercial ewes, market goats/commercial does, and market beef/commercial heifers coming up in June as well as information pertaining to swine nominations that will be completed in an alternate manner in 2014 due to PEDV has been posted to this site. Please visit the links to the left for more information.
All of the rules have been posted, as well as the entry system. Please check the links to the right for more information about the State Fair of Virginia.
Please share this information with any new exhibitors, particularly those in your club or county. More information pertaining to the fair can be found at the State Fair website (www.statefairva.org).
Swine Update -TERMINAL SHOW
Due to concerns regarding the spread of PEDv, the State Fair Program Committee has decided that the market hog show will be a terminal show and there will not be a breeding gilt show in 2014. This decision was supported by the State Veterinarian’s Office, Virginia Pork Industry Board and Virginia Cooperative Extension due to the impact the spread of this disease could have on the swine industry in Virginia.
Please carefully read over the bullets below that outline the changes to the show and note the changes that have been made to the nomination process (see enclosed nomination flier) as well as the show itself. Please do not hesitate to contact any of the show staff if you have further questions or need clarification.
- To be eligible for exhibition, all market hog entries must be nominated and tagged through the alternative swine nomination procedures. Nominations require tagging the hogs with an official State Fair of Virginia Youth Livestock tag and taking a profile picture, as well as a picture with the tag in the hog's ear. Tags can be obtained by contacting Joi Saville (firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-231-2257). All swine nominations must be submitted to the State Youth Livestock Office by August 15, 2014, in order to be eligible to show at the State Fair of Virginia. It is the responsibility of the exhibitor to properly self-nominate his or her hogs.
- Only hogs that have been nominated and properly identified will be eligible to show in the Market Barrow or Market Gilt competition at the State Fair of Virginia. Exhibitors are limited to nominating 7 market barrows and 7 market gilts. There will NOT be an open swine show in 2014.
- A maximum of 5 market barrows and 5 market gilts may be shown per exhibitor.
- There will separate classes for market barrows and market gilts; the champion barrow and champion gilt will show against one another for the title of Overall Champion Market Hog. The classes and champion drive will be very comparable to the market beef show with premiums and awards given in both shows (see rules for more details).
- Market hogs not meeting the weight range of 220 lbs. - 295 lbs. are eligible to be shown in showmanship, as well as in a separate market class. All market swine that are above or below the acceptable weight range of 220 lbs. and 295 lbs. will not be eligible for premiums and scholarships awarded in the market classes; they will still be required to be sold for slaughter, but will receive a significant price reduction.
- The market hog show will be terminal for all hogs and must be sold for slaughter as arranged by the State Fair.
2014 State Fair of Virginia - Swine Show UPDATE (PDF | 42KB)
Updates for 2014
- Dates: – All beef, sheep, swine and meat goats will show October 3-5; the second weekend of the State Fair
- All market lambs/commercial ewes, market goats/commercial does, and market beef/commercial heifers must be nominated using the mid-late June nomination sites. All swine must be nominated using the process that is outlined in the enclosed informational letter entitled “2014 State Fair of Virginia Hog Nomination Requirements”.
- A $5 per head nomination fee will be collected when animals are nominated at a nomination site; an additional $5 per head entry fee will be required when animals are entered online
- Entries: All entries for State Fair must be submitted online; entry information will be available in July. All beef, sheep, swine and meat goats will be required to be entered by August 15th!
- Complete details of the show schedules, judges, policies and rules for each species will be posted on this page and the links to the right, as they become available. Please check this site for important changes and updates!
2014 Letter to Potential State Fair of Virginia Exhibitors (PDF | 42KB)
For YMQA training dates across the Commonwealth, please visit the YMQA web site for more details.
If you are not certified by August 15th, you will not be allowed to exhibit at the 2014 State Fair of Virginia!
We would also like to say thank-you to all of our 2013 sponsors, especially our general sponsors. Without all of their support, the youth shows would not have been possible.
Southern States Cooperative
Andis Clipper Company
Ashby Herd Health Services
Alleghany County Farm Bureau
Amherst County Farm Bureau
BB&T Scott and Stringfellow - David Houchins
Bedford County Farm Bureau
Buckingham County Farm Bureau
Caroline County Farm Bureau
Chesterfield Farm Bureau
Culpeper County Farm Bureau
Cumberland County Farm Bureau
Charles City-James City-New Kent -York Farm Bureau, Inc.
Michael Phillips Scholarship Fund
c/o Campbell County Farm Bureau
Fauquier County Farm Bureau, Inc.
Floyd County Farm Bureau
Goochland County Farm Bureau
Hanover County Farm Bureau
Henrico County Farm Bureau
Loudoun County Farm Bureau
Montgomery County Farm Bureau
Smyth County Farm Bureau
Southampton County Farm Bureau
Springwood Livestock Management Services
Stafford County Farm Bureau
Warren County Farm Bureau
Premier Sheep Supplies Ltd.
Rockbridge Farmers Coop
Rockbridge 4-H Stockmen’s Club
Nansemond County Farm Bureau
Prince George Farm Bureau
For a complete list of 2013 sponsors, click here.