Virginia 4-H State Congress is the premier, statewide annual 4-H event for outstanding 4-H teens and adult volunteer leaders. Its mission is to provide competitive and non-competitive educational experiences to Virginia teens and the adults who work with them, helping them to develop life skills and leadership abilities to become contributing citizens in their communities.
The major purposes of 4-H Congress are:
- To provide a high-quality educational experience for 4-H youth ages 14-18 and adults that work with them.
- To promote 4-H as a major statewide educational youth program.
- To provide educational, recreational, and social experiences for youth that would not normally be available at a county or district level.
- To enhance life-skill development through all 4-H Congress activities.
- To provide educational experiences through the Great Summer Showcase, and competition that will enhance life skill development and support 4-H project work.
- To provide competitive (judging, presentations, etc) events in each curriculum area.
- To provide educational experiences that enhance life skill development and support 4-H project work.
- To provide recognition for all competition area winners at a Congress-wide event.
- To recognize outstanding support to 4-H Congress by a volunteer adult 4-H leader.
- To promote an understanding of the value of diversity among Congress participants.
- To enhance a delegate’s sense of personal and social responsibility through an environment that fosters independence, accountability, decision-making, and time management.